These sweet, coconut Irish Potato Candies aren’t Irish or made of potatoes, but they are ridiculously tasty and the perfect treats for St. Patricks’ Day! This recipe makes the BEST Irish potatoes you’ve ever had!
- 1/4 cup (half a stick) of unsalted butter, softened*
- 4 oz (1/2 package) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups or 1 lb confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt*
- 3 cups or 8 oz unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, plus more as needed
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the vanilla and salt, then slowly add in the confectioners sugar while beating until it’s all incorporated and totally smooth. Next, blend in the coconut until you have one unified mixture.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes so that it’s easier to handle. Form into balls or potato shapes, then roll in cinnamon to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
*if using salted butter, reduce the salt to 3/4 teaspoon
Keywords: Irish, potatoes, candy, coconut, sweets, treats, dessert, cinnamon, Philadelphia