This take on the classic steakhouse wedge salad uses romaine instead of iceberg, is grilled for more flavor, loaded with crispy bacon and juicy tomatoes, plus it’s lighter thanks to a blue cheese vinaigrette!
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1–2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing lettuce
- 4 ounces tangy blue cheese, such as Maytag
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, outer leaves trimmed and quartered lengthwise OR two smaller heads of romaine, halved lengthwise
- 8 strips of thick sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking together the vinegar, honey, chives, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking, then continue whisking until it’s emulsified. Crumble in the blue cheese and stir to incorporate. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to high heat. Brush the lettuce all over the cut side with oil, or you can opt to spray them with a cooking spray. Lay the lettuce wedges on the grill cut side down, and allow them to cook until nicely charred, about 2-3 minutes. If the lettuce was quartered, be sure to gently turn it to allow charring on the other cut side. If halved, leave it as-is.
- Carefully remove the lettuce from the grill and transfer to plates. Divide the blue cheese vinaigrette evenly among the 4 wedges, then top with bacon bits and tomatoes. Sprinkle with more chives if desired. Serve immediately.
Keywords: easy, steakhouse, wedge, salad, romaine, blue cheese, dressing, vinaigrette, bacon, tomatoes, grilled