These Crispy Roasted Potatoes with Onions and Rosemary are an easy and versatile side dish that goes with just about everything! Thinly sliced, crispy potatoes with creamy centers, jammy roasted onions and herby rosemary. This simple potato side dish is naturally gluten free, vegan and is bound to become a new favorite in your rotation!
This is a classic, old-school recipe that’s been passed down from my mom and my grandma. Those recipes are always the best.
Whenever my mom made this as a side with dinner I would always fill up on potatoes and barely touch the rest of the meal. Some of the pieces get crispy like a potato chip, while others get creamy and soft. The onions get jammy and caramelized in spots while others gets slightly charred. The rosemary gets crispy and mild. These potatoes are so simple and just so soo good.
How do you make them?
This recipe is as easy as tossing together thinly sliced potatoes and onions with fresh rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper, spreading them out onto a baking sheet and then roasting in the oven for about 40 minutes. Not a fan of rosemary? Substitute thyme, or leave it out altogether. The potatoes will still be delicious.
How to make even, thin slices
I like to slice the potatoes and onions with a mandolin because it’s easy to create evenly thin slices. That said, my mom and my grandma certainly never used anything other than a knife. Some of the pieces were fatter and others were skinnier, and that actually made for nice textural contrast. You can’t go wrong either way.
What kind of potatoes are best?
Red skinned potatoes were always what my mom and grandma used for this recipe, but it can be made with any kind of potatoes you have. While the recipe will work with russets or baking potatoes, it will turn out better with waxy potatoes such as red skins, yukon golds or even plain white potatoes.
The size of the potato doesn’t matter. I prefer to leave the skin on, but if you’re opposed you can peel the potatoes first.
Tips for making
- Line the sheet pan with parchment paper for easier clean-up and no stuck-on potatoes. Potatoes will stick to aluminum foil.
- Don’t skimp on the olive oil! It helps the potatoes get nice and crisp.
- Use waxy potatoes. Don’t use russets or other starchy potatoes unless that’s all you have.
- Slice the onions thicker than the potatoes so they don’t burn. Since the onions have a lot of natural sugars, they cook faster and are more susceptible to burning. Slicing them thicker than the potatoes ensures they cook evenly.
- Don’t open the oven more than you have to! These potatoes need high heat to get nice and crisp. If you constantly open the oven to check on them, the temperature will drop and they will take much longer to cook!
How to Serve
These potatoes pair beautifully with just about any kind of protein. You can serve them alongside other roasted meats like chicken, pork chops, steaks, pot roast, stews and with all different kinds of seafood. They’re a versatile side that go with just about anything! These potatoes are gluten free and vegan, making them a great choice for entertaining or serving a crowd.
One Year Ago: Chick Pea Pasta with Sausage + Broccoli Rabe | Peas with Prosciutto + Ricotta
Two Years Ago: Pork Kebab Pitas with Toum | Smashed Eggs on Toast with Butter + Spring Herbs
Three Years Ago: Classic Italian Meatballs | Scones with Prosciutto, Goat Cheese, and Strawberry Butter
Four Years Ago: Italian Chick Pea Fritters with Veggies | Pasta with Shaved Asparagus + Ramp Pesto | Taco Cake
Five Years Ago: Salted Vanilla Bean Philadelphia Style Butter Cake | Salted Caramel Candies | Spiedini alla Siciliana
These Crispy Roasted Potatoes with Onions and Rosemary are an easy and versatile side dish that go with everything! Thin sliced, crispy potatoes with jammy roasted onions and herby rosemary. This simple potato side dish will become a new favorite in your rotation!
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs red skin or other waxy potatoes, unpeeled, sliced about ¼ inch thick
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced about ½ inch thick (thicker than the potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (eyeball it) fresh rosemary needles or about 1 teaspoon dried
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper (this step is optional but really helps with sticking and makes for easier clean-up).
- Add the sliced potatoes and onions to the sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and rosemary. Toss until the potatoes and onions are all evenly coated. Spread the potatoes and onions out so that they’re in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then use a spatula to toss everything around and flip some of the potatoes over. This doesn’t have to be perfect, just make sure you move them around a bit.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp in spots. Serve immediately.
Use a mandolin slicer to achieve evenly sliced potatoes and onions.
Keywords: gluten free, crispy, crispy potatoes, roasted potatoes