This easy recipe for Chick Pea Pasta with Italian Sausage + Broccoli Rabe is a healthy and satisfying dinner that can be on the table in 20 minutes!
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (removed from casing)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- pinch of red chili flakes (optional)
- salt, as needed
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb short-shaped chick pea pasta (such as cavatappi, rigatoni or shells)
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan or pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water up to a rolling boil.
- While the water heats, start cooking the sausage. Break it up in a large skillet over medium-high heat. You can use a wooden spoon or spatula, but I find a potato masher works best.
- Add the garlic cloves and chili flakes (if using), then cook until the sausage is nicely browned.
- When the water is boiling, season generously with salt then add the broccoli rabe. Cook until al dente, about 2 minutes, then use a spider or handheld strainer to remove it from the water.
- Drain the broccoli rabe well, then add it to the pan with the sausage and stir to combine. Let simmer over very low heat.
- Add the chick pea pasta to the water (make sure it’s still at a rolling boil), stir, then cook according to package directions until al dente.
- Reserve a cup or two of pasta cooking water, then drain and rinse under cold water.
- Add the pasta to the pan with the sausage and broccoli rabe, turn up the heat and toss until well combined. Add pasta water a few splashes at a time along with the parmesan cheese, then continue tossing until it creates a nicely thickened sauce.
- Spoon pasta into bowls, then drizzle each with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot with more parmesan cheese for sprinkling.
*You can substitute 1/2 lb of regular wheat pasta, but if you do, skip the rinsing in step 7.
Keywords: gluten free, chick pea, italian, broccoli rabe, sausage, easy, fast