This easy and flavorful recipe for Pasta with Olives, Anchovies, Tomatoes + Breadcrumbs is made with mostly pantry ingredients and can be on the table in under 20 minutes. This post has been sponsored by ShopRite Supermarkets. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
When you haven’t gone grocery shopping in weeks and the fridge is practically empty, it’s still possible to make a tasty and satisfying meal out of the few things you have on hand. All it takes is a well stocked pantry and a little creativity to get the job done.
This quick and easy pasta dish was inspired by ShopRite Supermarket’s new line of specialty imported products, known as ShopRite Trading Company. The line includes tons of high-quality ingredients, such as oils, vinegars, rice, pasta, olives and so much more. Grab a handful of these awesome pantry staples, and you’ll be ready to whip up a tasty meal even when the cupboards are seemingly bare.
I chose to use the ShopRite Trading Company Imported from Sicily Extra Virgin Olive Oil, STC Imported from Italy Long Fusilli Pasta and STC Imported from Greece Marinated Mixed Olives for this recipe. I’ve become especially smitten with the olive oil. I am a self-proclaimed olive oil snob, and I find many brands on the market to be less than stellar. I was blown away by the quality of the ShopRite Trading Company Sicilian Olive Oil used in this recipe but also with the STC Extra Virgin Olive Oil from California (of course I had to try that, too!).
They both have distinct flavor profiles that make them ideal for a variety of recipes. What really sets them apart is their freshness, which is indicated by the date stamped on the back. A good, fresh olive oil can make all the difference in a recipe, especially when it’s simple and relies on only a few ingredients to give it flavor, like this one. These STC olive oils are also an incredible value considering their incredibly high quality. I can’t wait to try the other olive oils in the STC line.
ShopRite Supermarket has been my go-to grocery store since I was a little girl. Even now that I live all the way up on the north end of Brigantine and the closest ShopRite is a good 20 minutes away, I still make the effort to get there at least once a month to stock up on all my essentials. Having a pantry that’s loaded up with shelf-stable, high-quality ingredients makes it possible to create flavorful and exciting meals when I haven’t had a chance to make a ShopRite run in a few weeks.
This recipe is a spin on Pasta Puttanesca, a classic dish made with pantry ingredients like olives, capers and anchovies. I wanted to do this one a little differently, so I made a simple, quick sauce using ShopRite Trading Company Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Marinated Mixed Olives along with garlic, tomatoes (I have so many freshies coming out of the garden right now but canned work, too!) and anchovies. Don’t be afraid of the ‘chovies, you guys! They add an incredible salty umami flavor to this dish without making it taste fishy at all.
The sauce is so easy to assemble and can be cooked in the time it takes to boil the pasta. I like to finish this recipe off with some crunchy toasted garlic breadcrumbs to add a really great texture, as well as some fresh basil to make it taste summery and fresh. The basil, while really lovely in this dish, isn’t exactly a pantry ingredient, so if you don’t have any on hand, just leave it out. You can add cheese if you really insist, but I think it’s perfect just the way it is.
One Year Ago: Heirloom Tomato Salad with Blue Cheese and Fried Shallots
Two Years Ago: Grilled Romaine Wedge Salads with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette / Grilled Lamb Meatballs with Tahini Sauce
Three Years Ago: Chicken Milanese
Four Years Ago: Sesame Crusted Wild Salmon with Sweet Soy Glaze
- 5 tbsp ShopRite Trading Company Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced, plus 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup ShopRite Trading Company Panko Bread Crumbs - Plain
- salt, as needed
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 3/4 cup ShopRite Trading Company Marinated Mixed Olives, pitted*
- 1/2 lb ShopRite Trading Company Long Fusilli
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- Place a large pot of water on the stove and bring it up to a boil.
- Heat 3 tablespoons ShopRite Trading Company Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large skillet. Add the minced garlic clove and cook for about 1 minute, then add the ShopRite Trading Company Panko Bread Crumbs and toss around until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Season lightly with salt, then transfer to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the pan and return it to the stove.
- Season the boiling water with a little bit of salt, but don’t make it taste like the ocean (which is what I typically advise). There is enough salt from the anchovies and the olives, so you don’t want to add too much. Drop the pasta into the water, stir, then cook until al dente (about 8-9 minutes, depending).
- While the pasta cooks, add the remaining 2 tablespoons ShopRite Trading Company Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil into the skillet, then add the sliced garlic and anchovies. Use a fork or rubber spatula to mash the anchovies into the oil until they nearly dissolve and the garlic is barely starting to turn golden, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and olives, then simmer over medium heat until some of the water evaporates, about 5 minutes. Taste, then season with salt as needed.
- When the pasta is ready, drain it, shake dry, then add to the sauce. Toss to evenly coat the pasta with sauce, then sprinkle with basil and drizzle with a bit more olive oil. Top with breadcrumbs, then serve immediately.