This easy recipe for Chorizo con Huevos aka Mexican sausage and crispy fried eggs is the best breakfast recipe ever! It’s gluten free, loaded with flavor, and makes an excellent hangover cure!
It’s been a while since we’ve talked about breakfast. Sure, we made these pumpkin cinnamon rolls back in December, but those fall more under the category of “treat” than “breakfast” for me. These crispy fried eggs with chorizo, a spicy Mexican sausage, however, is exactly what I want to eat when I wake up in the morning… Especially on a lazy weekend when I may or may not have been cocktailing the night before.
It’s important that you locate some good quality Mexican style chorizo for this recipe, which can be found in the meat section of any latin market or good supermarket. Mexican style chorizo is a soft, raw sausage that needs to be cooked, which is different from Spanish style chorizo, which is hard cured like a salami and can be sliced and eaten without cooking. Spanish chorizo would certainly be delicious cooked up with eggs, but it will have a different texture and flavor.
One Year Ago: Seared Scallops with Pomegranate Beurre Blanc
- 1/2 lb Mexican chorizo, removed from casing
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- thinly sliced white onion
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- several sprigs fresh cilantro
- warm tortillas and hot sauce (optional) for serving
- Break the chorizo up in a heavy bottomed skillet and cook over medium heat until it starts to crisp, about 15 minutes. Push the chorizo to the side and crack in the eggs. Cook the eggs to your desired level of doneness (flipping if needed), then use a spatula to transfer them to two plates with equal amounts of chorizo. Top with a few slices of onion, avocado and several sprigs of cilantro. Serve immediately with warm tortillas and hot sauce on the side.