This recipe for Unbreaded Eggplant Parm is a healthier, gluten free version of my Mom’s eggplant parm that’s actually more authentic than the original! It’s made with eggplant that’s been baked, not fried, and isn’t coated in any breading. This is actually how it’s made on the Amalfi Coast of Italy, and while I still love my mom’s eggplant Parmesan, this gluten free version hits the spot just the same.
- 4 lbs eggplant (about 2–3 large), peeled and sliced 3/4 – 1 inch thick
- extra virgin olive oil for brushing eggplant (about 1/2 cup or more)
- salt, for seasoning eggplant
- 5 cups tomato sauce (homemade is best)
- 1 1/4 lbs (20 ounces) grated whole milk mozzarella (Polly-O brand recommended)
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated pecorino Romano cheese
- minced fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line 3 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Brush the eggplant slices lightly with olive oil on both sides, then lay them out in an even layer on the sheet pans. Sprinkle with salt, then bake until golden brown, rotating the pans as needed, about 20-25 minutes. (You may have enough eggplant to make a 4th pan.) Let cool.
- Lower the oven to 350 degrees and set aside 2 cups of mozzarella and 1/2 cup pecorino Romano.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 inch casserole dish, then spread it around to coat. Place a single, even layer of eggplant over the sauce, then top with another thin layer of sauce and a sprinkling of each cheese.
- Continue layering the eggplant with more sauce and more cheese until you’ve used everything up. It’s okay if the final layer of eggplant is a bit sparse. Sprinkle the top with the reserved 2 cups mozzarella and 1/2 cup pecorino Romano.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake until bubbling and slightly browned on top, about 20-30 minutes more.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: eggplant, parmesan, cheesy, mozzarella, tomato, italian, classic, amalfi coast, baked, healthy, vegetarian