This easy recipe for Escarole with Olives and Capers is a mouthwatering side dish inspired from my vacation on the Italian Amalfi coast. It’s naturally vegan, gluten free and totally delicious!
- kosher salt
- 2 lbs escarole (1 very large head or 2 smaller)
- 1/3 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup oil cured black olives (or your favorite black olives), pitted
- Bring a large pot of water up to a boil and season generously with salt.
- Clean the escarole, remove the core, then cut into chunks. Drop it into the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a colander and press out as much liquid as you can.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and red chili flakes, then saute until the garlic starts to turn light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove the garlic if you want (I always leave it in), then add the escarole and toss around to coat.
- Add the capers and olives, then continue tossing until everything is mixed in and warmed through. Taste and add salt if needed. Serve immediately.
Keywords: escarole, greens, vegetables, side dish, Italian, Naples, Amalfi Coast, Neapolitan, vegan, gluten free