These crispy zucchini fritters with lemon herb yogurt make a great vegetarian main course or appetizer! It’s such a great way to use up all that zucchini from your garden!
- 1 pound (about 2 medium) zucchini
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or scallions
- 1 large egg
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Olive oil (or the oil of your choice) for frying
For the Dipping Sauce (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream or plain, full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced or grated with a microplane grater
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs of choice (chives, basil, lemon thyme, dill, tarragon, parsley, chervil, etc. Avoid sage and rosemary)
- Grate the zucchini using a box grater or the shredding blade on a food processor (my preferred method).
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt, gently mix, then spread out onto a large tea towel and let sit for 10-20 minutes. Fold up the towel and wring it our over a bowl to extract as much liquid as possible. Be aggressive about it. If the zucchini holds on to too much liquid, your fritters will be soggy.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chives, egg, reaming 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, flour, corn starch and baking powder. Add in the zucchini and mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- In a large heavy skillet a quarter cup or so of oil over medium-high heat until hot. Line a baking sheet with paper towels, and have it near by. Drop in heaping spoonfuls of the zucchini mixture and lightly press with the back of the spoon to flatten. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan – 3-4 per batch is usually just right.
- Cook until the edges are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the fritters and fry them on the other side for another 2-3 minutes, until nicely browned, then remove to the paper towels to drain.
- To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve the fritters immediately, or hold in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve. The fritters keep well in the refrigerator for up to a week and can easily be reheated in the oven or toaster oven at 325 degrees. To freeze, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, place the fritters in an even layer, and place in the freezer until solid. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag or air tight container and keep for several months.
Keywords: cake, fritter, patty