This recipe for Heirloom Tomato Toasts with Feta + Herbs is an easy summer appetizer made with juicy heirloom tomatoes, salty feta, and seasonal fresh herbs. Simple and delicious!
- 4–6 slices of good crusty bread
- extra virgin olive oil – plenty!
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and halved
- 2–3 ripe heirloom tomatoes, depending on size, sliced
- salt + pepper to taste
- 4–6 slices feta cheese
- fresh herbs like basil, chives and/or oregano, roughly torn
- Preheat a grill to high heat. Brush the bread on both sides with a thin layer of olive oil. Place on the grill and cook until charred on both sides (bread may also be toasted instead). Remove the bread from the grill and immediately rub the cut side of the garlic all over each slice.
- Place the tomatoes on top of the toast in an even layer, and season liberally with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Top each toast with a slice of feta, shower with fresh herbs and drizzle with lots of olive oil – be generous. Serve immediately.