This Rhubarb Almond Cake is a tangy, dense, and delicious cake flecked with long strips of vibrant rhubarb and finished with boozy bourbon whipped cream. So great for Spring! Adapted from Bon Appetit.
For the Rhubarb Almond Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for pan
- 1 pound rhubarb stalks, trimmed
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup almond flour or almond meal
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
For the Bourbon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or more to taste
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rub the inside of an 8″x10″ (or similar) rectangular baking dish with butter. Sprinkle with a little bit of sugar, swirl it around the pan to coat and tap out the excess. Slice rhubarb in half lengthwise (quarter if very large) and set aside 8 of the best looking pieces. Chop the remaining rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and almond flour in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or electric beater, beat together 1 cup butter with ¾ cup sugar in a large bowl. Scrape in seeds from the vanilla bean and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, being sure the first egg is fully incorporated before adding the second. Add the bourbon and beat until mixture is pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes more.
- Add the dry ingredients, a little at a time, while beating on low speed. Add the yogurt and stir until just combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and fold in the chopped rhubarb. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top and arrange the reserved rhubarb stalks in a pretty pattern. Sprinkle the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar evenly over top.
- Bake for about 70-80 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- When the cake is baking, make the bourbon whipped cream. Whisk together the heavy cream, sugar and salt until soft peaks start to form, about 5 minutes by hand. Pour in the bourbon and continue whipping until stiff peaks form, about 1-2 minutes more. Don’t over whip. Whipped cream can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
- Allow the cake to cool, then slice and serve with bourbon whipped cream.
- Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerated for up to one week.
Keywords: rhubarb, spring, easy, dessert, Easter, Mother's Day, brunch, cake, almond, yogurt, bourbon