It’s not easy being green, especially if you’re a vegetable. I meet people all the time who claim they don’t like green vegetables, but I’m calling BS. They just haven’t had them prepared the right way.
This tasty spinach side dish is so good, I bet even Popeye himself would approve. It has only 4 ingredients, comes together in 5 minutes, plus it’s both healthy AND delicious. What more could you want in a recipe?
Check out the video below to see just how easy it is!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb fresh spinach, washed and large stems trimmed, or baby spinach
- 2 oz good quality parmesan cheese, such as Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, the add in the garlic. Season with a pinch of salt, and saute for about a minute or two until it just starts to turn golden brown. Throw in the spinach and toss around until it starts to wilt- this will happen very quickly. Grate a little more than half of the parmesan over the top and toss some more.
- Remove from the heat to prevent overcooking - you want the spinach to be just wilted - and season with more salt and pepper to taste. Place the spinach and all of the juices into a serving bowl, and grate the remaining parmesan over the top. Serve hot!
- If using farm fresh stalks of spinach, be sure to give them a good wash before cooking, as they tend to be very sandy. In addition, you'll need to trim off the bulkier stems before cooking, but don't throw them away! They're perfect for juicing, making soups or adding to a green smoothie.
- If using a box of baby spinach, these steps are not necessary.