These sweet and puckery Meyer Lemon and Pistachio Sandwich Cookies are kissed with a touch of cardamom to make them even more unique.
For the Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Meyer lemon juice
- 2/3 cup shelled pistachios, finely chopped, divided
- 2 1/2 cups flour
For the Cream Filling
- 8 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest
- 2 1/2 – 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Make the Cookies
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the salt, cardamom, Meyer lemon zest, and Meyer lemon juice, then beat until incorporated.
- Mix in 1/3 cup pistachios (reserve the rest for rolling), then add the flour and mix on low speed until just incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic, then refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line two sheet pans with parchment.
- Roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thick (you want the cookies to be fairly thin), then use a round 3-inch cookie cutter to cut out as many cookies as you can. Transfer to sheet pans, leaving about 1/2 inch between cookies. Reroll and cut dough scraps until you’ve used it all up.
- Bake cookies for about 15-20 minutes, rotating pans halfway throughout. Remove when they are light golden brown, then let cool completely.
Filling and Assembly
- Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until smooth. Mix in salt, Meyer lemon zest, 2 1/2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice, and cardamom. Taste and add more lemon if you want it tangier. Transfer to a piping bag or a zip-top bag with the corner snipped off (after filling).
- Place the remaining chopped pistachios on a small plate. Pipe about a tablespoon of filling onto the center of a cookie, then place another cookie on top and gently press down to seal. Roll the edges in chopped pistachios, then set aside and repeat with the rest. Let cookies sit without moving for about 1 hour to let the filling harden.
- Cookies will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Keywords: Christmas, cookies, meyer lemon, cardamom, pistachio, sandwich cookies, dessert, edible gift