Currently is a monthly post that highlights all the things I’m into right now.
Here we are, friends. Summer! We’re in it.
I hope you’re finding coolness and peace amidst the chaotic heat of July.
I had a “lash lift” last week – aka I permed my eyelashes – and it has me looking all bright eyed and bushy tailed. It’s a mood. And it should last for 8-10 weeks, respectively.
We leave for Greece in just a few days and I can’t really express the level of happiness / excitement I’m feeling over the whole trip, but also not without my fair share of anxiety because my body doesn’t know how to behave any differently. We’re working on it. It’s a process.
Going on a long trip abroad smack dab in the middle of summer is an entirely new experience for me. We always travel in the off-season, being that we live in a resort town and try our best to make the most of it during peak season. I’m welcoming the experience with open arms and a few nerves about leaving Soulberri during the busiest time of the summer. We’ll survive, I’m certain.
I know this post is coming to you a few days later than usual, but hey, that’s life. I hope you find something of value in the links below, and have a wonderfully patriotic, long, lazy weekend.
Currently Buzzing About…
- I’m all for self care, sweetie, but it’s important to recognize that the wellness industry is in business for profit, not for us to feel good. Being healthy has never felt more complicated: Smash The Wellness Industry. (The New York Times)
- This cut deep. Really deep: Ask Polly: My Friendships Make Me Sad. (The Cut)
- This one cut even deeper: I Meant to Call My Mom, She Died Before I Had the Chance. (Glamour)
- Remembering the life of Anthony Bourdain through some of my favorite Atlantic City haunts: I Drove the Anthony Bourdain Food Trail & Fell in Love with New Jersey. (Food52)
- A fine compilation of advice that made me feel a little bit better about how I’m doing in life: If I Could Do My Thirties All Over Again, I’d… (Bon Appetit)
- My dog’s eyes are so expressive that I can tell what she’s thinking even when her fur is so long you can’t even see her eyes: Dogs’ Eyes Have Changed Since Humans Befriended Them. (The Atlantic)
- We’ll be in Greece for the nuptials of my brother-in-law, Terry, and his lovely bride-to-be, Christina. If you were at our wedding 9 years ago, you already know that Chaser’s brother delivered the greatest Best Man speech of all time, so needless to say, Chaser has his work cut out for him next week. I hear ouzo helps: How to give an awesome toast. (Science of People)
Currently Listening To…
This month’s playlist is cool and mellow, perfect for listening to while gazing out at the water or sitting around a bonfire. It’s made up of slowed down indie pop, some interesting cover songs and a little old school nostalgia for lots of dreamy, hazy, floaty vibes. Dig it.
- We haven’t been watching a whole lot of TV lately, so other than reruns of The Office and Seinfeld, I don’t really have anything to recommend this month. That said, I’m looking for a good book to get lost in this summer and would love your suggestions! Please let me know in the comments if you have anything worth recommending.
- I’ve been on a major healthy eating kick and I can’t wait to end it the second our plane touches down in Greece. Until then, I’m keeping myself satisfied with lots of lean grilled meats and flavor-packed salads. On the menu last weekend: Turkey Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce (I’m using chicken) and Thai Green Papaya Salad.
- I’m super stoked for Mezze culture in Greece – small plates of dips, veggies and other little snacky things to enjoy with drinks. I have a recipe for Tzatziki and Skordalia on my website already but I can’t wait to see how they compare in the motherland.
- Over here in the states, it’s peak blueberry season! The berries are plump and plentiful in New Jersey right now, so get your fill! Try my Grandma’s Blueberry Pie, a rustic Blueberry Peach Crostata, my easy Summer Kale + Blueberry Salad, in a Rosemary Blueberry Vodka Spritzer or gf Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes.
- I’ve been super into sugar snap peas this season and I’m drooling over this Burrata with Charred and Raw Sugar Snap Peas. (Smitten Kitchen)
Be well and Happy 4th of July!