This easy recipe for Flourless Chocolate Soufflé Cakes has only 4 ingredients and can be made from start to finish in well under an hour. Gluten free and dairy free optional! Perfect dessert recipe for entertaining, dinner parties, romantic dinners or Valentines Day!
This recipe makes 4 individual chocolate soufflé cakes, but it can easily be doubled or halved
- 6 tablespoons salted butter *
- 4 ounces good quality bittersweet dark chocolate *
- 2 eggs separated
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter 4 4-inch ramekins, then place them on a sheet pan.
- Gently melt the butter and chocolate, either over a double boiler or in the microwave, in intervals, at half power. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and 3 tablespoons of sugar until light and frothy. Add the cooled melted butter and chocolate mixture, then whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites and the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar until it forms soft peaks. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, being careful not to deflate.
- Divide the batter evenly among the ramekins, then bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until puffed up and set in the middle (no longer jiggly). If you want a more gooey center, you can under-bake them about 5 minutes and serve them warm.
- If serving warm, I suggest a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Otherwise, let them chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve, then dollop with whipped cream.
This recipe can easily be halved or doubled depending on how many people you want to serve.
*To make this recipe dairy free, substitute vegan butter (such as earth balance) and use a dairy free chocolate.
Keywords: chocolate, souffle, cake, gluten free, dairy free, dessert, valentines day, romantic dinner, dinner party, entertaining