Currently is a monthly post to check in and chat about all the things I’m into right now.
The holidays are upon us! There’s no turning back now.
I’m entering this season with a new clothing rental subscription, a set of orange plaid dinner napkins that double as a scarf for my dog and tons of gratitude in my heart. How about you?
The holidays can be a real mixed bag of emotions and a stark reminder of how real life is. I have high hopes that your season goes off without a hitch or a hangover.
I hope the next month is filled with ease, cheer and only the good kind of nostalgia. I hope you laugh until you cry with people you love and maybe don’t see very often. I hope your shoes are as comfortable as they are cute. I hope you don’t discuss politics at the dinner table, but if you do, do it with an open heart and an open mind. I hope you get enough fiber and at least some exercise in. I hope you carry love into everything you do, especially your cooking. People can taste it and you know it. I hope you get some sleep.
Here’s what I’m thinking about this month:
Currently Buzzing About…
- Venice is the most majestic and mysterious city I’ve ever visited. The flooding is so heartbreaking, I don’t know what else to say about it other than maybe I should go back ASAP: Staggering Photos of the Flooding in Venice. (The Cut)
- The brand Thinx created a commercial that depicts what it would look like if men got their periods. It’s funny. It’s poignant. It’s absolutely brilliant. And so, of course, it’s also controversial af: CBS Bans TV Ad that Depicts Menstruating Men. (NY Post)
- David Sedaris’ words hold a special place in my heart and this piece about the ebb and flow of long-term love hits especially hard. A great Thanksgiving morning read: Hurricane Season. (The New Yorker)
- The new Netflix documentary, Game Changers, has everyone running to hop on the plant-based bandwagon, but earlier this year I noticed the opposite trend happening among food influencers. Where is the truth? Probably somewhere in the middle: When Vegan Influencers Quit Being Vegan. (Munchies)
- Every new year after the holiday dust settles, Mr. Gaffney and I embark on a mission to purge the house of excess stuff. In reality, we should just stop acquiring so much stuff in the first place. Let’s start with the holidays: How to Give Experiences Instead of Gifts. (WellnessMama)
- Flea, beloved bassist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, wrote us a memoir about his wild, trippy life: Acid For the Children. (Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Will Ferrel hosted SNL last weekend and brought us a new trend in men’s fashion that I am really, truly living for: Jeans Commercial. (YouTube)
Currently Listening To…
This month’s playlist is for Thanksgiving (duh)! It’s a typical Coley mix of indie and oldies made specifically with a varied crowd in mind. I like to think it has a little something for everyone – even a little Mot the Hoople for you, Dad! There’s a whole 5 hours of music cued up and ready to go. You have enough on your turkey to-do list – let me handle the tunes!
- I’m late to the game once again, but like, omg, have you guys seen Fleabag?! (Amazon)
- Tell me you’re as excited as I am to curl up on the couch this weekend and watch Scorsese’s latest mob flick? Hopefully with a turkey sandwich in hand: The Irishman. (Netflix)
- Are we all set for Thanksgiving? My Cranberry Frangipane Tart is easy to throw together and looks really damn pretty on a dessert table. It’s also DELICIOUS. (ColeyCooks)
- Samantha made a Burnt Basque Cheesecake and now I want to ditch all my pie plans and just make this instead: Burnt Basque Cheesecake. (The Little Ferraro Kitchen)
- A gratin is a very good idea: Cauliflower Gratin, Fennel + Onion Gratin, Kale Gratin, Classic Potato Gratin, Celery Root + Parsnip Gratin – you can’t go wrong. (ColeyCooks)
- Cookie season starts next week! I’m revving my engine and also thinking about dabbling in a different kind of cookie this year: A Saltier, Snackier Cookie. (Taste)
- Because there WILL be leftover turkey this weekend: Turkey Carnitas Tacos. (ColeyCooks)
Did I mention I’m grateful for you?? Happy Thanksgiving!!