This gorgeous recipe for Savory Peach Galette with Blue Cheese + Caramelized Shallots is such a great way to celebrate sweet summer peaches! This savory galette is perfect as an appetizer, lunch, or side!
For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 9 tablespoons COLD unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 2–3 tablespoons cold water
For the Filling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 medium shallots, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 ripe but firm peaches
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 4 ounces creamy blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons honey, plus more for serving
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, for sprinkling
- To make the crust, start by mixing the flour, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the butter into the flour until the butter is broken down into pea sized pieces.
- Whisk together the egg and two tablespoons cold water, then pour it into the flour mixture. Use a fork to stir the mixture until it just comes together, adding one to two additional tablespoons of water until it forms a ball. Do not knead the dough or mix any further. Wrap the ball in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to rolling out.
- Melt the butter in a medium saute pan over medium heat, then add the shallots and saute, stirring frequently, until lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool.
- While the shallots cook, bring a large pot of water up to a boil, prepare an ice bath, and lightly score an X on the bottom of each peach, being careful not to cut too deeply into the flesh. Drop the peaches into the boiling water for about 30 seconds, or until the skin begins to peel up from the cut ends. Remove from the water and immediately submerge into the ice bath. Once cool enough to handle, the skins should peel off easily. Cut the peaches in half and remove the cores; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roll out the dough to a roughly 12″ circle and carefully transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Smear the dijon mustard around the center of the dough in an even, thin layer, leaving a 2 inch border around the outside. Spread the cooled caramelized shallots evenly over the mustard, then crumble the blue cheese and scatter it around. Arrange the peaches cut side down in an even pattern, leaving some room around each and reserving the prettiest ones for the center. Drizzle honey all over, then gather and fold the dough up around the sides to enclose the filling.
- Brush the exposed dough all over with egg wash, then sprinkle the thyme all over the filling and crust, then lightly sprinkle flaky sea salt over the crust only.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 45 minutes to one hour. Allow to cool at least 30 minutes so that the juices to firm up. Serve warm or at room temperature, with extra honey drizzled on top if desired.
Keywords: peach galette, peach pie, baked peaches, thyme, blue cheese