Serves 4-6 as an entree or 8-10 as an appetizer
For the turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 4-inch pieces lemongrass, tough outer layer removed, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, halved, seeds removed for less heat
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs boneless skinless turkey breast
- skewers (if using wooden skewers be sure to soak in warm water for at least 30 minutes prior to using.)
For the Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1–4 tablespoons Sriracha sauce, adjust to taste
- 1–2 tablespoons warm water, as needed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and brown sugar to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the vegetables start breaking up, then process on high for 1-2 minutes until finely chopped. Add coconut milk, turmeric, coriander, cumin, fish sauce, and salt, then continue processing until it forms a smooth paste.
- Slice the turkey into thin strips, then add to a plastic zip-top bag along with the paste. Seal the bag, then use your hands to squish the turkey around to mix together and fully coat with all the ingredients. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Make the spicy peanut sauce by whisking together the peanut butter, sriracha, water, soy sauce, lime juice, and brown sugar until smooth. Adjust the seasoning to your taste, then set aside. Sauce can be made up to 1 day ahead.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Skewer the turkey pieces by weaving them over and under, like an accordion, making sure they’re nice and compact. Grill until charred on one side, about 3-4 minutes. Turn and continue grilling on the other side until the turkey is totally cooked through.
- Remove from the grill and serve with spicy peanut sauce on the side.
Keywords: thai, chicken, turkey, satay, poultry, grilled, easy, dinner, appetizer