Brown butter pumpkin galette topped with caramelized onions and tangy goat cheese. This savory pumpkin galette makes a perfect Thanksgiving appetizer!
For the Crust
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
- 4 1/2 ounces COLD unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg,
- 2–3 tablespoons cold water
For the Filling
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped, plus 6-8 whole leaves for topping
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
- 1 large egg, plus another large egg beaten for egg wash
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup caramelized onions (from about 2–3 onions. recipe: https://coleycooks.com/how-to-make-caramelized-onions/)
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- flaky sea salt (such as Maldon) for sprinkling, optional
Make the Crust
- Mix together the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the butter into the flour for a few minutes, until the butter is broken into pea sized pieces.
- Whisk together the egg and two tablespoons of cold water, then pour it into the flour mixture. Use a fork to stir the mixture until it comes together, adding one to two additional tablespoons of water until it forms a ball. Do not knead the dough or mix any further. Wrap the ball in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to rolling out.
Make the Filling
- Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Keep a close eye on it as it sizzles, foams, and eventually turns brown and smells nutty. Add the minced sage and immediately remove from the heat. Add the pumpkin puree to a bowl and pour the butter in. Add the egg and salt, then mix until the butter is fully incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Roll out the dough to about a 12″ circle and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Spread the pumpkin mixture in the center, leaving a 2 inch border around the outside. Distribute the caramelized onions evenly over the pumpkin, then crumble the goat cheese on top. Drizzle with honey, then scatter whole sage leaves randomly but evenly over top. Gather and fold the dough up around the sides to enclose the filling.
- Brush the exposed dough with the egg wash, then lightly sprinkle flaky sea salt (if using) on top. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- To achieve a tender, flaky pie crust, the dough needs to stay cold at all times. Be sure to start with chilled ingredients and place the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes if it’s starting to get too warm. Placing the prepared tart in the freezer for a few minutes before baking ensures that the crust will be super flaky.
Keywords: thanksgiving, appetizer, savory, pie, galette, brown butter, pumpkin, goat cheese, sage, caramelized onion