This Pear + Leek Galette with Goat Cheese + Walnuts is a simple, savory free-form tart that makes a perfect Thanksgiving appetizer. Crust adapted from David Lebovitz.
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 1/2 ounces COLD unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2–3 tablespoons cold water
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon butter (salted or unsalted is fine)
- 2 medium leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced, white and light green parts only (about 3 cups)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 6 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1 large pear, thinly sliced (you may need 2 pears if small)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash (optional)
- Mix together flour and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter, then use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the it into the flour. Do this until the butter is broken into pea sized pieces, about two minutes.
- Whisk together the egg and two tablespoons cold water, then pour into the flour mixture. Use a fork to stir until it just comes together, adding one or two additional tablespoons of water until it forms a ball. Do not knead the dough or mix any further. Press into a disc, then wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 days in advance.
Filling and Assembly:
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add Dijon mustard, cream and 1 teaspoon rosemary. Cook until the cream has reduced by half and the mixture is thick, about 5-8 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Let cool completely.
- When ready to assemble the galette, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Roll the dough out on a floured surface until it is about ¼ inch thick and 14-16 inches around. Gently roll the dough up on to the rolling pin and transfer it to the center of the sheet pan. It should hang off the sides slightly.
- Spread the cooled leek mixture evenly around the dough, leaving a 2 inch border on the outside. Crumble goat cheese on top, then arrange the pears in a circular pattern. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon of rosemary, salt, pepper and chopped walnuts.
- Carefully gather the outer border of dough and fold it up and over the filling to form a 1 to 2 inch crust. Brush the outer crust with egg wash if desired (this will produce a prettier, more golden brown crust).
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Keywords: galette, savory, pears, leeks, goat cheese, walnuts, Thanksgiving, appetizer, pie, pastry, tart, crostata