This easy and flavorful recipe for Pasta with Olives, Anchovies, Tomatoes + Breadcrumbs is made with mostly pantry ingredients and can be on the table in under 20 minutes.
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced, plus 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt, as needed
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 3/4 cup assorted pitted olives, green or black
- 1/2 lb long pasta such as spaghetti, linguini or fusilli
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Place a large pot of water on the stove and bring it up to a boil.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the minced garlic clove and cook for about 1 minute, then add the panko breadcrumbs and toss around until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Season lightly with salt, then transfer to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the pan and return it to the stove.
- Season the boiling water with a little bit of salt, but not too much. The sauce is salty so the pasta doesn’t need much.
- Drop the pasta into the water, stir, then cook until al dente (about 8-9 minutes, depending on the brand – check package directions).
- While the pasta cooks, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the skillet, then add the sliced garlic and anchovies. Use a fork or rubber spatula to mash the anchovies into the oil until they nearly dissolve and the garlic is just starting to turn golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and olives, then simmer over medium heat until some of the water evaporates, about 5 minutes. Taste, then season with salt as needed.
- When the pasta is ready, drain it, shake dry, then add to the sauce. Toss to evenly coat the pasta with sauce, then sprinkle with basil and drizzle with a bit more olive oil. Top with breadcrumbs and serve immediately.
Keywords: pantry, pasta, puttanesca