This is an easy video tutorial for how to perfectly pan sear scallops! Once you learn this simple technique you’ll make the best scallops you’ve ever tasted. Browned and caramelized on the outside, perfectly cooked and tender inside.
- 1 lb dry sea scallops or diver scallops
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- thyme, garlic or other aromatics (optional)
- lemon, for serving
- Remove the tough side muscle from each scallop, them pat them very dry.
- Heat oil and butter in a medium-large skillet over high heat.
- Season scallops on both sides with salt and pepper right before cooking – no sooner.
- Carefully place the scallops in the pan, then lower the heat to medium.
- Cook, undisturbed, for about 2 minutes depending on size, or until nicely browned on the bottom.
- Flip and cook for about 1 minute more on the other side.
- Add aromatics to the pan if desired and use a spoon to baste with the hot fat.
- Remove from the pan, squeeze with lemon and serve immediately.
Keywords: pan seared scallops, how to cook scallops, pescatarian main dish