This recipe for fish chowder comes from my mom. Light, simple and makes an easy, comforting dinner. Only takes 7 ingredients and 15 minutes minutes of work. Gluten free!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 8 ribs celery, diced
- 1 lb waxy potatoes (not russet), cut into large cubes
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 pound sustainably caught firm white fish such as cod, halibut or haddock, cut into large cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley (loosely packed)
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy bottomed pot and sauté the onion and celery with a pinch of salt until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, toss to coat, then add the water, salt and pepper. Bring the liquid up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add in the fish, cover, and simmer for another 10 minutes or util the fish is cooked through. Stir in the heavy cream and fresh parsley. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve immediately with lots of crusty bread for dipping.
- This soup is even better after it sits overnight. Be sure to make enough for leftovers!
Keywords: new england, seafood, cod, haddock, creamy