Makes about 2 cups
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked in water overnight
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup chives, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste (don’t skimp)
- water, to thin as needed
- Drain the sunflower seeds and rinse under cool water. Shake to remove any excess water, then transfer to a blender. Add the garlic, basil, chives, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Blend on high, adding water a little bit at a time as needed, until totally smooth and creamy. Depending on your blender, this could take several minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Chances are you’ll need more salt. Add more lemon juice as desired for a tangier dressing, and thin it out with more water to achieve your desired consistency. Be sure to taste and preseason after adding more water, as it will dilute the flavor.
- Transfer to a jar or squeeze bottle. Keep refrigerated for up to one week.