Grilled Scallops Wrapped in Bayonne Ham with Horseradish Cream is the perfect appetizer for summer! The recipe is really simple to make and only requires 5 main ingredients.
- 1 lb dry sea scallops, 10/ct or larger *
- 1/4 lb Bayonne Ham, thinly sliced
- toothpicks or wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- chopped chives, parsley or any other herb to garnish (optional)
- Clean the scallops of any sand or shell debris by giving them a quick rinse under cold water. Remove the tough side muscle if needed, then pat them very dry with paper towels.
- Wrap each scallop around the outside with a slice of Bayonne Ham, then use a toothpick or skewer to secure it in place.
- Once all the scallops have been wrapped, rub them on all sides with olive oil, then season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Keep the scallops wrapped and chilled until ready to grill. They can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance.
- Make the horseradish sauce by whisking together the sour cream and horseradish until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead.
- Preheat a grill to high, then give it a good scrub with a grill brush and rub the grates with oil to prevent sticking.
- Make sure the grill is piping hot, then grill the Bayonne Ham wrapped scallops for about 1-2 minutes on each side (depending on size), or until they have nice grill marks. Be careful not to overcook – it’s better to pull them off while they’re still a bit underdone inside as they will continue cooking as they sit.
- Serve immediately with horseradish sauce on the side. Garnish with chopped herbs if desired.
*Always look for “dry” sea scallops, which means they haven’t been treated with a chemical solution.
Keywords: scallops, angels on horseback, bayonne ham, prosciutto, horseradish, appetizer, grilled