For the Pickled Fennel
- 1/2 small fennel bulb
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the Salad
- 2 small heads radicchio
- 1 small-medium bunch of red grapes (about 2–3 cups)
- 3–4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for drizzling (eyeball it)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 4 ounces gorgonzola dolce
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the core from the fennel, thinly slice, then place in a bowl. Bring the vinegar, water, sugar and salt up to boil in a medium saucepan. Pour over the fennel and set aside.
- Cut the radicchio in half, remove the core, then cut each half into thirds. Place them on a baking sheet along with the grapes, and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for about 15-20 minutes, or until the grapes are wilted and the radicchio is slightly charred.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the shallots, mustard, honey vinegar salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk until emulsified.
- Arrange the radicchio and grapes on a platter, then drizzle with dressing. Drain the fennel and arrange over top, then sprinkle with walnuts and crumbled gorgonzola. Serve warm.