This easy authentic Italian Marinara Sauce recipe is made from canned tomatoes and is a million times better than anything you can buy at the store! Toss it with pasta, use it for chicken or eggplant parmesan, use it to top your pizza or as a base for tomato soup!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt, to taste
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic along with a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes, then cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Add the canned tomatoes, then use a wooden spoon to smash and break them into pieces. Add a bay leaf and tomato paste if using, along with about 1/2 – 1 cup of water, depending on the consistency of your tomatoes and how thick you want your sauce.
- Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and season with more salt and a pinch of sugar if it tastes very acidic (the sugar will mellow the acid and balance the flavor, not make it sweet).
- The sauce is ready to use!
Keywords: easy, tomato, marinara, sauce, gravy, sugo, Italian, sicilian, canned tomatoes, authentic