Welcome to my new series, Currently…
I’m breaking from my typical food-only content to offer something a little more broad, and a lot more personal. This past year I took a step back from blogging to work on other projects, and in that time I remembered why I started doing this in the first place. I missed blogging. I really love this little space that I’ve created. I love making new recipes, I love writing about their inspiration, I love sharing them, and I love the conversations and community that form as a result.
I want to expand on that love by making this space about more than just food. I want it to be a real reflection of who I am by sharing other aspects and interests of my life. I was inspired by some of my favorite food bloggers who regularly post non-recipe content, like Joy the Baker with her Let It Be Sunday posts and Suwannee Rose with her Monthly In Bloom posts. I tend to enjoy these even more than their regular recipe posts, so I decided to start doing something similar. Currently… will be an every-so-often newsletter about the things I’m currently into, because let’s face it, I’m into a whole lot more than just food (and I’m guessing you are too).
I hope to spark conversation, to inspire, to open your eyes (and ears!) to new ideas, and to share all the things that are currently adding value to my life. I hope you find it entertaining and/or useful and enjoy reading it, but if you’re only interested in recipes, I totally get that too.
I’d love to get your feedback! Let me know what you think about this new venture – I always love hearing from you.
So without further adieu, here’s what I’m currently into right now:
- Our food choices come down to three things: Conditioning, fear and need. I spend *a lot* of time thinking about food, diet and why we the things we eat. It’s complicated, to say the least. This is an incredibly thought-provoking article from the always inspiring Lily Diamond of the blog Kale + Caramel: From Vegan to Omnivore: How We Choose What We Eat.
- The truth is unpopular. It’s true. Conspiracy theories. Reality TV. Manifesting. Social Media. Snake Oil. Religion. Nobody wants the truth, but everyone wants a story: The Best Thing My Psychic Mom Taught Me Is No One Wants To Hear The Truth.
- It’s been an unusually hot September which means there are hurricanes abrewin’. I stood in the eye of Katrina AND Sandy. I hope I never have to see up-close devastation like that again. Here’s to hoping Florence stays out at sea.
- David Byrne is playing a concert on my birthday and Chaser got us tickets! Back when I still “wasn’t really sure about this guy,” I got into his car and the Talking Heads were playing. I looked at him and said, “YOU like the Talking Heads??” He said, “I LOVE the Talking Heads!” And suddenly I became a bit more sure. 9/20 at the Mann in Philly – Tickets still available if you want to join! The visionary David Byrne on chickens, sustainability and other reasons to be cheerful
Currently Listening To…
- I’ve always loved this song by the Foo Fighters, and this is a brilliant cover done in a totally different style. Check it: Matt Duncan – Everlong.
- I recently heard this song on Pat Carney (of the Black Keys)’s radio show on Serius XMU and it blew me away. Released in 1977, this song is nothing like “Whip It.” It has major Talking Heads / B52’s / punk rock vibes and I can’t stop listening to it: DEVO – Smart Patrol / Mr. DNA.
- Joe Rogan interviewed Elon Musk on his podcast earlier this week. They smoked a little weed together, and everyones freeeakin’out man. I listened. It made my brain hurt. Artificial Intelligence is scary af. Joe Rogan Experience #1169 – Elon Musk.
- The new season of Ozark!
- Very funny comedian and hobbyist baker Tom Papa has a new show about baked goods on the Food Network. We no longer have cable, but if we did, I’d be all over this: Baked with Tom Papa.
- Tonight I’m making Moussaka (only I’m using lamb instead of turkey) with all the eggplant from my garden. My brother and sister are coming over – something that happens rarely, but is always cherished.
- Tomorrow night I’m making Danielle’s Crispy Coconut Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa. She sent me a box full of the most delicious mangoes I’ve ever tasted, and I sent her back a box of tomatoes. It’s a really delicious garden pen-pal situation we’ve got going on, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
- Everyone’s moved on from summer to fall, but I’m still savoring the last of the peaches, corn, tomatoes… literally everything is in season right now. It’s the Best Time of Year to Cook and these 57 Recipes Prove it (Bon Appetit).
It’s an honor to have you be a part of my world.
Have a wonderful week. <3