Currently is a monthly post that highlights all the things I’m into right now.
It takes approximately 1 month to catch up after a vacation. That’s my estimate.
We flew back from Greece a month ago. A month! And it’s taken me up until now to finally feel settled back into my life. I’m not complaining, I just don’t know where life goes sometimes.
Late August is when summer is at its best. Everything mellows and life feels a bit slower, quieter. Kids and teachers prepare to head back to school, while I revel in the fact that I don’t have to. It’s muggy outside. Everything is in season. It’s when Chaser and I got married. It’s when we first brought Phoebe home. It’s (almost) my birthday. Change is in the air. I love this time of year.
This was far from my best gardening season, but the photo above is proof that even a heavily neglected garden will still reap quite a lot. I didn’t plant anything new or exciting and much of it has already died, but I got what I needed and I’m cool with it just being what it is. Ya know?
Where are you at in life right now? Are you traveling? Are you going back to school? Are you soaking in the last few drops of summer or are you clamoring for the cozier days ahead? Wherever you are I hope you’re doubling down on corn and tomatoes and feeling content with life. Look around. It’s not so bad.
I’ve padded this post with a few extra bits because perhaps you noticed that I never posted one of these last month. I was busy summering, which is exactly what I plan on doing for the rest of the season. You should, too. But in the meantime, enjoy what’s on offer below.
Currently Buzzing About…
- “Less, but better.” We all need to be spreading this gospel: The Life Changing Magic of Making Do. (The Globe and Mail)
- (Related) I’ve often felt it would be more productive to focus on improving our outdated recycling systems than to strong-arm everyone into drinking out of soggy paper straws. But, it’s complicated: Recycling is in Crisis. Could these innovations be the answer? (The New York Times)
- Sorry to burst your bacon bubble, but you’re wasting your money. Trader Joe’s “uncured” bacon still tastes the best, though: The ‘uncured’ bacon illusion: It’s actually cured, and it’s not better for you. (Washington Post)
- Last week at the beach, a seagull pooped directly on the crown of my head, forcing me to put down my drink and go wash my hair in the ocean (rude). I’m waiting for my good luck, but also wondering if this trick can keep them from shitting on you, too: How to Keep a Gull from Stealing your Food. (Sciencemag.org)
- Negative emotions have value, and we should all feel less ashamed for vocalizing them: The Danger in Fake Positivity and Spiritual Bypassing. (Medium)
- The core is where it’s at. Who knew: Are We All Eating Apples Wrong? (Food Network)
- Hide and Seek is Phoebe’s favorite game to play, but these pups take it to a whole other level: Big Dog Plays Expert Hide and Seek. (Digg)
- ‘Tis the season for fruit flies, friends. This is the trap we use every year and it works like a charm: Where Fruit Flies Go to Die. (Coley Cooks)
- It’s also the season for sweating. These are the dog days! Have you ever tried using homemade deodorant? It’s aluminum and chemical free, easy to make, inexpensive and works better than any commercial product I’ve tried: Homemade Deodorant. (Coley Cooks)
Currently Listening To…
- If there’s one sound that’s synonymous with late summer, it’s crickets, so that’s what I named this month’s playlist. I don’t really know what else to say about it other than it’s mostly mellow tracks made for easy listening with my usual mix of indie and oldies. I even included our wedding song to honor our 9(!!) year anniversary on the 27th. Any guesses which one it is?
- I know I’m a little late to the game, but we finished Season 3 of Stranger Things last night and it was SO GOOD! I will say I didn’t love the ending, but otherwise it gets an A+ from me: Stranger Things. (Netflix)
- I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw a movie in an actual movie theatre, but I’m determined to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on the big screen. Maybe this weekend. 🤷🏻♀️ Have you seen it yet? Is it worth the hype? One Upon a Time in Hollywood Trailer. (Youtube)
- Speaking of serial killers and the 70’s, the new season of Mindhunter just came out and I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed the first season and have been patiently waiting for the new one: Mindhunter. (Netflix)
This is my favorite time of year to cook, no question. The seasonal produce is completely overwhelming and I struggle to decide just what to cook up every day. Here’s what I’ve been making on repeat:
- Sun Gold Tomato Pasta
- Cedar Planked Salmon with Tomato Peach Salsa
- Eggplant Capponata
- Unbreaded Eggplant Parm
- Cucumber Melon Salad with Feta + Mint
- Heirloom Tomato Salad with Blue Cheese + Fried Shallots
- Watermelon Gazpacho
- Zucchini with Vinegar + Mint
- Summer Corn + Green Beans with Herb Butter
- The New York Times Famous Plum Torte
- Cape May Lobster Rolls
- Chicken Milanese
- Sicilian Tomato Almond Pesto
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes
- French Tomato + Goat Cheese Tart
- BEST BLT’s
- Homemade Pickles (of any kind)
Breathe in deep. Exhale with a sigh. Cook something for people you love and have a wonderful rest of the summer.