Serves 2-4. Double or triple to feed more.
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1 medium-large cucumber, cold, peeled and seeded only if needed
- 1/4 medium cantaloupe or other ripe summer melon, cold, seeded and removed from the rind
- flaky sea salt
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- best quality extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- fresh mint, torn
- 2 ounces feta cheese, sliced or crumbled
- Use a mandoline or sharp knife to slice the onion as thin as possible. Place in a strainer and run under cold water for about 30 seconds. Drain, then add to a medium-large bowl.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and add it to the bowl. Slice the cantaloupe, but not as thin as the cucumber, and add to the bowl. Season with salt, then squeeze lemon juice all over. Drizzle generously with olive oil, then toss well to combine. Top with torn mint leaves and feta. Serve immediately.
- For a dairy free / vegan version, omit the feta, but season a little more generously with salt.