Cream of broccoli soup is a classic, and you won’t believe how easy it is to make. With only 5 humble ingredients (not including water, salt and pepper), it’s the perfect recipe for for lazy lunches and light, simple suppers. Finished with sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese, this soup is warm, healthy and ultra satisfying.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large heads broccoli, roughly chopped into even sized pieces (stems and all)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups water, plus more to thin out if necessary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- sharp cheddar cheese, grated, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-large sauce pan and sauté the onions with a pinch of salt for about 4 minutes or until just starting to soften. Add in the garlic and cook one minute more, then add in all the broccoli.
- Sprinkle flour over top then toss to coat all the vegetables. Pour the water over, stir, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the broccoli is tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it’s completely smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully puree in batches using a standard blender.
- Thin out the soup with more water if necessary, season with more salt and pepper, and add in the heavy cream if using.
- Serve hot with plenty of grated cheddar cheese and more freshly cracked black pepper.
- For a gluten free version, omit the flour and add in a peeled and diced yukon gold potato with the broccoli. This will give added body and creaminess without the flour.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: easy, broccoli, soup, cream, cheese, cheddar, vegetarian, pureed