This Coconut Curry Noodle Soup with Butternut Squash + Spinach is an easy, warm and flavorful soup recipe that’s naturally gluten free and vegan optional!
- 2 – 3 Thai bird chilies, seeded for mild heat
- 2 shallots, halved and peeled
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro stems, (save leaves for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 14-ounce cans unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 6 cups vegetable broth (feel free to sub chicken if not vegan)
- 4–5 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (omit if vegan)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 10 oz bag baby spinach
- 8 oz vermicelli rice noodles
- thinly sliced red onion, shallots or scallions, for serving
- lime wedges, for serving
- chili flakes, for serving (optional)
- Add the chilies, shallots, garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, coriander, turmeric, curry, and 1/4 cup water to a food processor. Blend on high until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add coconut oil to a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the puree and cook, while stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes to bring out the flavors.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable broth and butternut squash, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and cook until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce and sugar, then taste and season with Kosher salt as needed. Stir in the spinach, then cover and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the noodles according to the package directions, then rinse them with cold water and keep them on the side (they will overcook and turn mushy if you add them directly to the pot).
- Ladle the soup into bowls, then add a handful of rice noodles. Serve immediately with red onion, lime wedges and chili flakes on the side.
Keywords: easy, asian, curry, soup, noodle, recipe, butternut squash, spinach, coconut, spicy, Thai