This recipe for warm, buttery cinnamon rolls can be ready on your table in 2 hours flat. This is the easiest recipe for cinnamon rolls I’ve ever made!
For the Dough
- 4 tablespoons unsalted Finlandia butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk (whole or 2% is fine, avoid skim)
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant or rapid rise yeast
- 3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for kneading and rolling
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- a few drops of vegetable oil for the bowl
For the Filling
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted Finlandia butter, plus one extra tablespoon for the pie plate, melted
For the Icing
- 1 7-ounce container Finlandia Classic Creamy Gourmet Cheese OR 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Finlandia butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Melt 4 tablespoons unsalted Finlandia butter in a small saucepan, then remove from the heat and add the water and milk. The mixture should be warm, but not hot. Sprinkle the yeast over top and give it a quick stir, then set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the egg and the butter mixture, then use a rubber spatula to mix until it just comes together. Turn it out onto a floured work surface, then gently knead the dough until it’s smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Lightly oil the inside of another bowl, place the dough inside, cover and let rest for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the filling. Combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and salt, then whisk in 4 tablespoons of melted Finlandia butter until thoroughly combined.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place it onto a generously floured work surface. Dust some flour on top of the dough and onto the rolling pin, then roll it out into a rectangle about 14-15 inches long and 9-10 inches wide. Do your best to keep the edges as squared off as possible.
- Spread the filling out evenly all over the dough, getting as close to the edges as you can. Starting at the top, carefully roll the dough up lengthwise, nice and tight. Use your fingers to gently pinch together the seam to seal everything in.
- Cut the dough into 12 even sized rolls using the sharpest knife you own. Grease the bottom and sides of a pie plate with the remaining tablespoon of melted Finlandia butter, then place the rolls inside. Cover and leave in a warm area to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the cinnamon rolls, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes.
- While the cinnamon rolls bake, make the icing. Whisk together the softened Finlandia Creamy Gourmet Cheese and Finlandia butter, then add the powdered sugar and salt. Continue whisking until no lumps remain. This can be done by hand with a whisk and a little elbow grease, or achieve faster results by using an electric mixer.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the oven when they’re golden brown and have no signs of raw dough remaining in the center. Allow them to cool down for a few minutes, then slather the icing all over top. Serve warm.
Keywords: easy, cinnamon, rolls, buns, cream cheese, frosting, icing, breakfast, brunch