This easy summer dessert recipe combines peaches and blueberries in a simple Italian style free-form tart, like a galette! It’s an easier alternative to pie and perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 1/2 ounces COLD unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2–3 tablespoons cold water
For the Filling
- 1 lb ripe, but firm peaches (about 3 large)
- 1 pint blueberries
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup vanilla sugar* OR 1/4 cup regular white sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons of water
- 1 tablespoon sugar in the raw
- To make the dough, start by mixing the flour, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the butter into the flour. Do this for about two minutes, until the butter is broken into pea sized pieces.
- Whisk together the egg and two tablespoons of cold water, then pour it into the flour mixture. Use a fork to stir the mixture until it comes together, adding one to two additional tablespoons of water until it forms a ball. Do not knead the dough or mix any further. Wrap the ball in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to rolling out.
- Bring a large pot of water up to a boil, prepare an ice bath, and score an X on the bottom of each peach. Drop the peaches into the boiling water for about 30 seconds, or until the skin begins to peel up from the cut ends. Remove from the water and immediately submerge into the ice bath. Once cool enough to handle, the skins should easily peel off. cut the peaches in half, remove the core, slice into 3/4 inch pieces and place in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Add the blueberries to the bowl along with the salt, sugar, cinnamon and flour, then mix to combine. Roll out the dough to about a 12″ circle and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Pour the fruit mixture into the center leaving a 2-inch border around the outside. Gather and fold the dough up around the sides to enclose the filling.
- Dot the butter around the top of the filling. Brush the exposed dough with the egg wash, then sprinkle the raw sugar on top. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Serve warm, ideally with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- *I make vanilla sugar by storing old, used vanilla beans in a canister with granulated sugar. Over time, they give off their perfume and it gets absorbed by the sugar, creating a lightly vanilla infused sugar. I keep it on hand to stir into coffee or use in sweet recipes such as this. Regular can be substituted along with a teaspoon of vanilla extract, or leave the vanilla out altogether.
- **To achieve a tender, flaky pie crust, the dough needs to stay cold at all times. Be sure to start with chilled ingredients and place the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes if it’s starting to get too warm. Placing the prepared tart in the freezer for a few minutes before baking ensures that the crust will be super flaky.
Keywords: peach galette, baked peaches, peach crostata, peaches and blueberries