This easy Shaved Asparagus Salad is so simple to prepare! Raw shaved asparagus and salty pecorino Romano cheese tossed with a simple lemon vinaigrette and finished with a sprinkle of Italian flat leaf parsley. So simple, so delicious and perfect for spring!
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1 bunch of thick speared asparagus
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz wedge pecorino Romano
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (optional)
- Place the minced shallot and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and let marinate while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Cut the tough ends off the asparagus, then use a vegetable peeler to shave long, thin strips. Slowly stream the olive oil into the bowl with the shallot and lemon juice as you whisk to emulsify. Add the strips of asparagus to the bow, then use clean hands to gently toss.
- Plate the asparagus on a serving platter or split into 4 individual dishes. Use the peeler to shave big shards of pecorino over the top. Scatter the parsley leaves around, if desired. Serve immediately. Leftovers do not hold up well.
- Choose asparagus with thick stems for this recipe. The thicker stems have a more mellow, sweeter flavor, and the pencil thin spears are nearly impossible to shave.
- I recommend storing asparagus in a tall glass of water, like cut flowers. They will last longer.
- Parmesan can be substituted for the pecorino, but I prefer the sharpness and saltiness of the latter.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: raw, Italian