These Apple Custard Bars are the ultimate back-to-school treat! In-season thinly sliced apples get layered into a thick, creamy custard. These versatile bars are just as good for breakfast as they are for dessert or a snack!
- 1 ¼ cups Horizon® Organic Grassfed Whole Milk
- 4 large Horizon Organic eggs
- ½ teaspoon organic kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- ½ cup organic sugar
- ½ cup organic all-purpose flour * (see note)
- 3 medium organic apples, any variety, peeled
- powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line an 8×8 square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add the Horizon Organic Grassfed Whole Milk to a large bowl or blender along with the eggs, salt, vanilla extract, sugar and flour.
- Blend until smooth using either a traditional blender or handheld immersion blender, about 30 seconds. Alternatively you can use a whisk to combine the ingredients by hand, but make sure the mixture is totally smooth before proceeding.
- Using a mandoline slicer or very sharp knife, slice the apples around the core as thinly and evenly as possible. The thinner the apple slices, the more tender they will be once baked. Discard the cores.
- Add the apples to the batter and stir with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Transfer batter to the parchment lined pan, then use the spatula to smooth out the top and make sure the apples are evenly dispersed.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown, puffed up and no longer jiggly in the center (a little jiggle is okay). Be careful not to overbake the bars or they will lose their creamy, custardy texture.
- Let cool at room temperature, then pop them in the refrigerator to chill completely before slicing.
- Dust all over with powdered sugar (optional), then cut the bars into 9 large or 16 small squares.
- Serve bars chilled (my preference) or at room temperature. They will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
*Feel free to substitute a cup-to-cup gluten-free flour blend for the all-purpose flour.
To double the recipe, bake in a 9×13 inch pan.
Keywords: apples, fall, custard, dessert, easy, healthy