This is one of my all time favorite recipes for brussels sprouts. Salty anchovy caper butter is the perfect match for roasted, caramelized sprouts. Serves 2-4 as an appetizer with bread or 2 as a side dish.
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper as needed
- 2–5 anchovy fillets packed in oil
- 1 small lemon, juiced (use 1/2 larger lemon)
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed*
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Optional, but recommended: 2 thick slices Italian bread pan toasted in 2 tablespoons butter.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then spread out on to a baking sheet cut side down. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until deep brown and caramelized.
- In the meantime, add the anchovies to a large skillet over medium heat and use a fork to mash them into the pan until broken up. Add lemon juice and mix until anchovies have dissolved. Add capers, then lower the heat and slowly stir in the butter.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed – it likely won’t need any. Stir in the parsley and serve over top of the toasted bread or on their own. Garnish with more parsley if desired.
- *Rinsing the capers under water is an important step to mellow their powerful brine.
- Serving Size: 2
Keywords: brussels sprouts, anchovies, capers, butter, roasted, side, thanksgiving, sprouts, best, easy, toast