Greetings from sunny Virginia Beach! I’m spending the week down here with Chaser’s whole family to celebrate lots of milestones. Not only is it Grandma Carol’s birthday, but she and Grandpa Jim are celebrating 60 years of marriage together. 60 years! It’s amazing and inspiring and most definitely something worth celebrating. We’re staying at a gorgeous house right on the beach, so I’m going to keep this post short and sweet so I can go dip my toes in the ocean.
This salad is one of my (many) summertime staples. I started making it a few years ago, and it was once a very popular item on my catering menus. It has lots of summery goodness all tossed together in a bowl. Ripe, juicy nectarines for sweet-tartness, chargrilled corn for toasty-sweetness. Romaine for crunch, basil and chives for freshness and flavor, plus creamy, tangy blue cheese, because, well… cheese. I happen to love blue cheese, but if it’s not your thing, I think goat cheese would be lovely as well.
The flowers you see in the photos are nasturtiums from my garden. This is my first time growing them, but most definitely won’t be my last. They make any plate look like a work of art. Their flavor is peppery and sweet, and by no means necessary for the salad, but I couldn’t help putting a few on top for garnish.
The dressing is my go-to classic vinaigrette. A little dijon mustard, a little shallot, a little honey, a little vinegar and olive oil. Simple, easy and the perfect compliment to this salad. I hope you give it a try! It’s like summertime in bowl. Now I’m off to go soak up the sun… and maybe a little rum punch, too. Talk soon!
One Year Ago: Summer Kale + Blueberry Salad
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for coating the corn
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1 head romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1 cup chives, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 nectarines, cored and sliced
- 4 ounces tangy blue cheese, such as Maytag
- In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, mustard, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly stream in the olive oil as you whisk until emulsified. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Lightly rub the corn with oil, then grill until charred on all sides. Set aside to cool, then remove the kernels from the cob.
- In a large salad bowl, mix together the romaine, basil and chives, then toss with just enough dressing to coat. Arrange the nectarines and grilled corn over the greens, then crumble the blue cheese on top. Serve immediately.